Saturday, August 27, 2011

Get Tied On

If not for Hurricane Irene, I would be spending Travers weekend at Saratoga. But plans need to be flexible when Mother Nature is as serious as she is this weekend, and I pray everyone stays safe.

Now the question is, will those of us in front of our TVs and computers have power all the way through to the Pacific Classic tomorrow night?

I’ll pray for that too.

I am still in front in the "Huddie" handicapper’s contest. But the pressure is mounting. Had nothing yesterday (a first!) and my 25 to 1 Shug firster in the 3rd, just ran fourth. I wasn’t sure what to expect of him, but his dam Salute was a favorite of mine so I gave it a shot. I will add him to my watch list, as he ran very professionally and should improve next out.

Some thoughts for the Stakes Action at Saratoga.

I will probably back Romacaca in the Balston Spa .The turf has just been upgraded to firm at the Spa which I think she prefers. A winner of 12 races, she can be on the lead or close to it and she is as honest as they come. Maybe Tapitsfly deserves a look too.

The 9th through the 11th comprises the late all stakes Pick 4. In the Victory Ride I think that Valiant Passion is the horse to beat.  The Steve Margolis trained Moon Buzz though totally untested is a bit interesting. Though 2 for 2, this is a huge step up but she could be a live longshot.

 Looking at both Tar Heel Mom and Sassy Image in the Ballerina.   One will be on the front end, and the other will be flying at the end. Both are coming off wins and sharp works since. Sassy Image has had a freshening, which always works with her.  I will use both in my Pick 4.

In the King’s Bishop I will single Cool Blue Red Hot. If Uncle Mo is “back” I’m fine with that. But I think this is asking a lot, after what he has been through, so maybe this is a good time to take a stand against him. I think the 7/8ths will suit the Penna- trained Harlan’s Holiday colt to “t” and I have to root for my “huddie” choice. He should be closing late.

Going with Shackleford in the big one. I have been a big fan since the winter, and there is not a more honest three year old than this big red colt. May not be the perfect distance but he’s coming to this race healthy and happy and I would love to see him win this.

Enjoy Travers Day wherever you are. Get tied on for some great racing and some nasty weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment