Friday, June 18, 2010

What My Father Taught Me

I'm guessing it's odds on that if you are a racing fan, you were probably introduced to the wonderful world of horse racing by your dad.
At least that's the case with most of my racing friends. And it was certainly the case with me. My dad loved racing, but more than that he loved researching pedigrees, and following the sons and daughters of great racing families. He loved the big races, the Triple Crown, the filly Triple Crown, the DC International, the Marlboro Cup, and as an owner-breeder, he took great pride in watching his own horses run too. He taught me how to read the Racing Form and I inherited his enthusiasm for the Sport of Kings. My dad taught me that if there was Relaunch, In Reality or Mr. Prospector in the pedigree, then take a second look on a rainy day. My dad taught me that sons and daughters of Mill Reef, Vaguely Noble and Riverman would love the turf. My dad taught me if a first time starter showed some speed, then go to the windows next time out. My dad taught me that two sprints to a route was the best time to cash in on a maiden going long for the first time. My dad taught me that balance was the key to good conformation in a race horse. My dad taught me how to look for a good flat hip in a racehorse. My dad taught me that families matter, and good classic pedigrees always "show up". My dad taught me that mornings on the backside were far more enjoyable and a world away, from afternoons in the grandstand. My dad told me to keep my eye on that young Pletcher kid who worked for Wayne Lucas. My dad showed me me that Saratoga was the August Place to Be.
My dad taught me how to find a Saturday Afternoon horse!
And he taught me how to be a generous winner if I cashed a bet, and well, a gracious loser, if I didn't.

In addition to all the other life's lessons my father taught me, I will always be grateful for his passion for racing and the positive effect that it has had on me.
Thanks Dad !!!





2 comments:

  1. Kim,
    Thanks for stopping by. Horses make great memories for lots of us.

    ReplyDelete