Monday, October 25, 2010

Back On Track

It’s been 10 days, and I am finally back to my blog. My computer had a serious breakdown and has now been retired to greener pastures. It could have been worse. It could have happened this week, and that would have been a disaster, as we are 11 days from the biggest two days of racing in North America.


Just some random thoughts…

Congrats to John Sherriffs on his first win at Keeneland. That was a stellar performance by Harmonious in the QE ll, and I look forward to her next start.

Kudos to George Strawbridge ( Augustin Stables) in getting the coveted gold tray for winning 8 Graded Stakes at Keeneland. Not easy to do. Only 16 other stables have won this prize in the history of the track.

I like what I’m hearing from the Zenyatta camp. She is happy, fit and enthusiastic.

This picture of First Dude’s work the other day is impressive. His stride is huge. Thanks to Reed Palmer/Churchill Downs for the shot.

I’m excited about “The Works” coming back to TVG. The visual of the horses in the days prior to the big day is invaluable to those of us not on the scene that week. I also like Mike Welsh at the DRF. He has a good eye and has started to report on daily workouts. I think that his reporting will also have some video with it starting today.

Louisville has been under drought conditions for months. If it stays this dry, I’m wondering what the turf course will be like?

I thought the Secretariat film was wonderful. Many of my non-horsey friends let me know that they enjoyed it. Right there, it has brought more positive interest to the sport. Yes, the film was not totally accurate. And it didn’t bother me at all.  I was AT Secretariat's Belmont that day. Even if the race was re-created at the site, there was no way they could have depicted what went on that day. So it was best not to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment