Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fillies First

Right at the moment I have a better handle on just who I like in the Oaks. Despite the one hole, I think that Joyful Victory is the class of a great group of fillies. She has gotten even better with blinkers, and if Larry Jones thinks she’s the real deal, then that’s enough for me. The other gray Tapit filly, Zazu, could round out the exacta for me, if she takes to Churchill. She has worked steadily since her neck beat in the Santa Anita Oaks, and I think she will appreciate the extra ground. Kathmanblu must not be discounted, as she is versatile and is a stakes winner over the track. I am intrigued by long shot, St. John’s River. She is improving and if the track is wet, could love it, being out of a Private Account mare. For me, she is a must use in the exotics.

But I truly think that Joyful Victory is a cut above all of these.

Now the Derby is not as clear to me. I do know that even if Uncle Mo runs and there is still a chance he may not, I will probably not be backing him. The 2 year old champ could run and win, and I will accept it, but I just don’t think he’s at his best right now, with his “stomach issues.” As of this week, he was still on meds and I’m hearing he’s kind of light. Just not the way you want to see a horse coming into the Derby.

Stay tuned for my Derby selections. Now I just have to figure out what clothes to pack for Churchill... besides rain gear, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment