Monday, May 31, 2010

June 9, 1973

Where were you on Saturday, June 9th, 1973? I was a member of a very elite group; I was one of 67, 605 delirious, on track racing fans who witnessed Secretariat's 31 length romp into the history books. The first Triple Crown winner in 25 years, the "big red" colt by Bold Ruler out of the Princequillo mare, Somethingroyal ran the mile and a half in 2:25, a world record that still stands today.

Did I know I was watching something truly remarkable? Yes, I did. A TRIPLE CROWN WINNER by 31 lengths ??? I can still bring back what the feeling was like, as the entire grandstand shook. The crowd started to roar as the horses entered the gate and you couldn't hear a word that Chic Anderson said. It was only after I watched the replay did I hear the famous words "he is moving like a tremendous machine". I saw him several times after that, including his loss at Saratoga to Onion. And I remember what that felt like too.

No comments:

Post a Comment