Friday, July 16, 2010

The Virginia Derby and the Power of Krypton

Can Krypton do it?


If you love turf racing, then this is your weekend. Graded grass races everywhere you look, so let’s hope the weather stays dry and we all have some winners.


While Paddy O Prado looks like the horse to beat in the Virginia Derby, I’m going to take a long look at Krypton. I have liked him from the start, being and looking like his daddy, Rock Hard Ten. But I especially like his last race, the Hill Prince. I like the fact that he has tactical speed if he needs it. I like the way he seems to relax, without resenting a good hold, early on in a race. I think he can sit right behind the speed in this race and not have to work out a trip from the back of the pack. I like the fact that he and Rajiv Maragh seem to get along so well. I like the fact that Rajiv never went to the whip in the Hill Prince. Now granted, that may have been because he was laying in a bit on Nordic Truce, as that horse was laying in a bit on him coming down the lane, and his jock may not have wanted to make that situation any worse. Good thinking Rajiv! Or maybe he was in so close that he had no room to switch to his left hand. Could very well be! But Maragh just stayed quiet, worked on keeping him straight and hand rode him to the wire. Krypton showed talent and gameness, and to me, it looked as though he had something left. A nice easy work on the turf, followed by a sharp minute and change bullet at the Saratoga training track on July 11th, tells me he is ready to take another step forward with a big effort. Will he like the added distance? Well the weight break he will get from the morning line favorite won’t hurt either, so,….I’m going to take a chance that Krypton can do it.


If you have read this far, then keep on reading. Another race I am going to look at on the undercard is the Kitten’s Joy, on the turf at a mile and 1/16. I have a very live 30-to-1 LONGSHOT that I think is worth considering in the exotics. Hawser is a horse bred by the late, great Bobby Frankel and I have watched most of his races. He always puts in a good late run. Karamanos has gotten to know him, he has had trouble in his last two, and I just think he still has some upside potential. Yes, he is in a tough spot, and that’s why he will be double digit odds. But I like him, and while he may not be able to win, I think he can catch a piece of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment