Friday, December 31, 2010

Food For Thought

Who Doesn’t Want A Little Good Luck This Year?
Horseplayers seemed to be more aware than most people of how much “luck” can affect the outcome of life in general and a horse race in particular. We talk about blind luck, luck of the draw,out of luck, gettin’ lucky, lookin’ at lucky, can’t get lucky, Lady Luck, bad luck, good luck and no luck at all.

Well did you know there are “lucky” foods? As you usher in the New Year, there are traditional foods that you should eat, and whether it’s based on folklore or history, cultural or religious beliefs, it’s certainly worth taking a shot. Can’t hurt, right?

There are six major categories of “good luck” foods and they include grapes, greens, fish, pork, legumes and cakes. If you want to get an “edge”, the specifics are in this interesting article at Epicurious.

I knew about some of these foods, but what I did not know was that there are some foods that are unlucky! Lobster is a bad idea because they move backwards, and that could lead to setbacks. So thanks but no thanks, I’ll pass on the lobster. Same thing with chicken, because they scratch BACKWARDS, and eating anything with wings could mean that GOOD LUCK could FLY AWAY! So NO hot wings now and maybe ever again.


Plan your New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day dining with care.What’s in the feed tub could make an impact on what’s in your pocket. We all want to be on the winning side of all those inquiries and photo finishes!

2 comments:

  1. I had oysters.... so that either means I will turn the sand in my pockets into pearls OR this year my face will wrinkle severely and my skin harden.
    They were in oyster stew so that could mean I'll be stewed a bit more this year than normal.
    Good Luck to you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Track Philosopher,
    I think you may be OK with the oysters. They fit the required "shape" of coins.
    That means you will have Good Luck with your selections for the Gulfstream meet! I will be checking in to see what you like.
    Also, meant to comment on your last post about "Racing" songs. Good list there!
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete